Dedicated and Compassionate
Our volunteers are the key to our success. At the Ocean Shores Food Bank, the volunteers help gather the food, raise the money, and feed the hungry. The food bank is an all-volunteer organization, no one is paid. We work together, enjoy each other’s company, and respect one-another, and we extend that sense of respect, and kindness to our clients.
What Do Volunteers Do?
Distributions require a great deal of preparation, which includes: stocking shelves, repackaging bulk foods, cleaning the facility and equipment, unloading trucks, logging in donated food from food barrels, and assembling emergency food bags. On distribution day (the first and third Thursday of each month), volunteers staff the counters, restock shelves, talk with and assist clients, register clients, and finally help clients get their groceries to their car or bus. We also engage in public outreach efforts.
Our volunteers staff our information tables at convention center events, work food drives at the IGA and Safeway, and assist with fund raising events. Our eight garden plots at the Garden by the Sea are tended by our volunteers who are interested in and enjoy gardening. Our garden work extends for most of the year. If you would like to volunteer, drop by the food bank on any Tuesday morning between 10:00AM and 12:00PM. Among the Benefits:
- You will experience the joy of helping others – not at a distance, but up close and personal.
- Working with friends and neighbors, you help make Ocean Shores a better place to live.
- It’s fun! You meet wonderful new people as you help others.
- Stocking shelves (and almost every other task) is great exercise!
- You’ll stay younger, longer.
- You will be helping those in our community who are most in need.